For some people, the idea of filing for bankruptcy is a frightening prospect. Even the initial consultation seems scary to some people. A big reason for this is the mystery involved. People who have never been through this process simply don't know what to expect.
At Bryan P. Keenan & Associates, P.C. , we are dedicated to giving you the best, most thorough and comprehensive legal representation possible for your bankruptcy case. We want to eliminate the mystery so that everything goes as smoothly and efficiently as possible, right from the free initial consultation. To make things simpler, we want you to know some of things that you should bring to our initial meeting:
- Our initial form - We will have you fill out the basic introductory form to help us get started
- Basic personal information - driver's license and Social Security card
- Tax information - complete tax returns for the past two years along with your W2's, 1099's,
- Proof of income - pay stubs or other official proof of income for the past six months. If you are self-employed and do not receive payment by way of check, you must bring your bank statements for the previous 6 months. If you receive unemployment compensation, bring a copy of your statement. If you receive social security disability, bring proof of the amount of compensation.
- Legal information - copies of any lawsuits you've been a part of, including judgments rendered against you and money owed to the courts or other parties
- Matrimonial and divorce information - documentation of your marital status, including any back child support or alimony you owe, exactly how much you owe and who is collecting on it. Divorce Decree and Marital Settlement Agreements.
- Debt information - your most recent creditors' notices on any notes that they owe - mortgage or car statements
- Budget - You will need to fill in a form with your income and monthly expenditures
- Retainer fee - You don't need this for your free initial consultation, but we'll need to be retained before we can really get the Chapter 7 process or Chapter 13 process started for you. Once we are retained we can start getting the creditors off your back
When you sit down with one of our bankruptcy lawyers at your free initial consultation, we can look over your finances to help you determine whether you qualify for bankruptcy and whether bankruptcy is the best option for you. We can also discuss any bankruptcy alternatives that might be relevant. Contact us to schedule a meeting with one of our lawyers.